"She is shy and witty, she is nobody’s fool, she is a brilliant actress, she is beautiful beyond the dreams of pornography, she can be arrogant and willful, she is clement and loving, Dulcis Imperatrix, she is Sunday’s child, she can tolerate my impossibilities and my drunkenness, she is an ache in the stomach when I am away from her, and she loves me!”
Some things Tom Waits wonders about:
- Is there a plug at the bottom of the ocean?
- What do jockeys say to their horses?
- How does it feel to be a tree by the freeway?
- When is the world going to rear up and scrape us off its back?
- Is a diamond just a piece of coal with patience?
Led Zeppelin at the Chateau Marmont in 1969. Photo by Jay Thompson.